Friday, July 8, 2011

slip-n-slide

Today, I watched my kids play on a Slip-n-slide.  I sat thinking about today's blog and realized starting and maintaining a business from home is like a Slip-n-slide.  Now, stay with me.  Think of it from a child's point of view.  The idea of running into the water and being instantly cooled is a great relief from the heat of the summer.  They run and jump on their tummies. Smiling.  As an adult you know it hurts, but they continue to torture themselves, because in their sweet little heads, the thought of a Slip-n-slide is FUN.  They continue to run and fall on their faces.  Still smiling.  They get squirted in the face, and they keep smiling.  They scream "OUCH!!!", and still smile.  They go until the pure exhaustgin from running, bumping, being squirted leaves them breathless.  After all is said and done.  They say "That was so much fun, Mommy."  How? Why?  It sounds painful and tiring. (By the way, I nearly broke my body showing them how to use the slip-n-slide.)  So why did I start a business?  Because I thought it looked fun. Because I didn't know there will be spills and bumps.  I didn't know I'd be squirt in the face, repeatedly.  When asked, how is "it" going?  I continue to smile.  So, I'm a big 35 year old kid on a slip-n-slide.  Until the "Slip-n-slide" tears or a hole is rubbed into the middle of the road, I'm going to keep smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment